Tuesday, July 7, 2009

He broke a nail!

If you're reading this, it's probably because you've taken an interest in our new furry friend, Charlie. Thanks. We love him. We love him like crazy. He's definitely spoiled rotten- so much that I'm concerned that I'm "babying him too much". I probably am.

In any case, Charlie got his hair cut last Wednesday, and has been a new dog ever since! He's running around like crazy and I've never seen him happier. He must feel like a brand new dog! We have noticed that he seems to be really itchy- scratching all over. I called the groomers and they had me bring him back in for another bath this morning. They used some special shampoo that was supposed to help his itchy skin. It could also be allergies, or the fact that he's never had his hair this short and simply isn't used to it. Either way, he's flea-free and feeling good!

Feeling PRETTY good.....he's also been chewing incessantly at his back left paw. Upon closer examination, we realized that he had a funny looking toenail and a hard nail-ish growth beside the bad one. I took him to the vet this morning and turns out, he broke his toenail! :( He probably broke it a long time ago, but no one noticed because his hair was so long. And now that it's shorter, Charlie was able to get at it and chew, chew, chew! So this afternoon the poor little guy is being sedated and having his toenail removed. The vet was very nice and said that the other growth was probably his foot trying to heal itself and could actually be the new nail coming in. Who knows. All I know is that Charlie is one expensive pup! Good thing we didn't buy that new patio furniture set- we're paying for a toenail instead! :)

Hopefully he'll be up and running by this evening. It was hard to leave him there, and I had to choke back tears as I walked out to the parking lot. If you know me, you're probably not the least bit surprised. If you don't already know, I've got a heart the size of Alaska, and I invest and cry, invest and cry. It's a vicious cycle!

Anyway, he'll be fine. He'll feel a lot better without a broken-falling-off-toenail. This is good for him. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment